Exploring Career Opportunities at Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited
Dockyard Road, Mumbai – 400 010
Contact No.: 022-23764123/4140/4177
CIN No.: U35100MH1934GOI002079
Introduction to Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited (MDL)
Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited (MDL) stands as a testament to India’s prowess in shipbuilding and maritime engineering. Established in 1934, MDL has been a pioneer in constructing state-of-the-art warships and submarines for the Indian Navy. As a profit-making Central Government Schedule ‘A’ Public Sector Undertaking (PSU) under the Ministry of Defence and the Department of Defence Production, MDL has been an integral part of India’s maritime defense infrastructure.
Table of Contents
MDL is offering a range of exciting opportunities across various trades for eligible and interested candidates. These vacancies are part of a Backlog Recruitment Drive, aimed at filling essential positions in the organization. Here’s a detailed breakdown of the vacancies:
Skilled Grade- I (IDA- V) Vacancies
- Electrician: 3 positions
- Fitter: 6 positions
- Pipe Fitter: 10 positions
- Rigger: 4 positions
- Composite Welder: 3 positions
- Structural Fabricator: 14 positions
- Draughtsman: 5 positions
- Carpenter: 4 positions
- Electric Crane Operators: 3 positions
- Machinist: 1 position
- Painter: 5 positions
- Personal Assistant Cum Clerk: 2 positions
(Total: 60 positions)
Essential Qualifications and Experience
To be eligible for these positions, candidates must meet certain essential qualifications and experience requirements. These criteria are designed to ensure that candidates have the necessary skills and expertise to excel in their roles.
Skilled Grade- I (IDA- V) Positions
- Electrician: Candidates must have passed the National Apprenticeship Certificate Examination in the trade of “Electrician.” Additionally, one year of shipbuilding experience is compulsory.
- Fitter: To qualify for the position of Fitter, candidates must have passed the “National Apprenticeship Certificate Examination” in the trade of “Fitter.” One year of shipbuilding experience is mandatory.
- Pipe Fitter: Candidates applying for the role of Pipe Fitter should have passed the National Apprenticeship Certificate Examination in the trade of “Pipe Fitter.” Similar to other positions, one year of shipbuilding experience is a prerequisite.
- Rigger: For the Rigger position, candidates should have passed the “National Apprenticeship Certificate Examination” in the trade of “Rigger.” One year of shipbuilding experience is a must.
- Composite Welder: Applicants must have passed the National Apprenticeship Certificate examination in the trade of “Welder.” Shipbuilding experience is also required.
- Structural Fabricator: To be eligible for the role of Structural Fabricator, candidates should have passed the National Apprenticeship Certificate Examination in the trade of “Structural Fitter / Fabricator.” As with other positions, one year of shipbuilding experience is mandatory.
- Draughtsman: Candidates applying for the Draughtsman position must have passed the “National Apprenticeship Certificate Examination” in the Trade of ‘Draughtsman’ in the Mechanical Stream conducted by NCVT of the Directorate General of Employment & Training, Ministry of Labour, Govt. of India. One year of shipbuilding experience is compulsory.
- Carpenter: For the Carpenter position, candidates should have passed the National Apprenticeship Certificate Examination in the trade of “Carpenter/ Shipwright (wood).” One year of shipbuilding experience is required.
- Electric Crane Operator: To qualify for the Electric Crane Operator position, candidates must have passed the National Apprenticeship Certificate Examination in Electrician trade and have a minimum of one-year experience in MDL or the ship-building industry as an Electric Crane Operator. One year of shipbuilding experience is compulsory.
- Machinist: Candidates applying for the Machinist position should have passed the National Apprenticeship Certificate Examination in the trade of “Machinist/ Machinist (Grinder).” Like other positions, one year of shipbuilding experience is necessary.
- Painter: To be eligible for the role of Painter, candidates must have passed the National Apprenticeship Certificate Examination in the trade of “Painter.” Shipbuilding experience of one year is compulsory.
- Personal Assistant Cum Clerk: Candidates applying for this role should be graduates with 50% marks in aggregate in any discipline from any university recognized by UGC and should have proficiency in English. Additionally, candidates must have knowledge of MS office, English shorthand of a minimum of 100 words per minute, and a typing speed of 40 words per minute. Candidates should also have a minimum of two years of experience.
Emoluments and Benefits
At MDL, we believe in recognizing and rewarding talent. The selected candidates for the mentioned positions shall be placed initially in the following pay scale:
- Grade: Skilled Grade-I (IDA-V)
- Pay Scale: 17000-64360
In addition to the basic pay, employees will be entitled to various benefits and allowances, including industrial DA, HRA, CPF, and other allowances as per the rules of the company. MDL also follows a structured annual increment policy.
The selected candidates will be governed by the Employees’ State Insurance Corporation (ESIC) Act for the purpose of medical benefits. However, in cases where the operatives are exempted from ESIC coverage due to an enhancement of wages, they will be covered under the company’s medical benefit scheme for employees and their eligible family members.
MDL is committed to ensuring the well-being and financial security of its employees, making it an attractive workplace for those seeking stability and growth in their careers.
Age Limit and Relaxations
To be eligible for the positions, candidates must meet certain age criteria:
- Minimum Age: 18 years
- Maximum Age: 38 years
MDL also provides relaxations in the upper age limit for specific categories:
- OBC (NCL): 3 years
- SC/ST Candidates: 5 years
Additionally, persons with disabilities (PWD) are entitled to further age relaxations:
- OBC Candidates with PWD: 13 years
- SC/ST Candidates with PWD: 15 years
Ex-employees who have worked in MDL on a Fixed-Term contract basis shall get age relaxation of 10 years over and above the other relaxations mentioned above. Ex-servicemen who have served in the Armed forces of the Union for at least six months continuously will be given relaxation in age to the extent of the period of service plus 3 years.
MDL has a meticulous selection process in place to ensure that the right candidates are chosen for the positions. The selection process includes the following stages:
a. Written Test
- Candidates will be called for a written test based on the information provided by them in the online application form. The written test evaluates the candidates’ knowledge and aptitude for the specific position they are applying for.
b. Experience Marks
- Candidates who meet the essential qualifications and have the required experience will be awarded experience marks. The experience marks are based on the number of years of experience in the shipbuilding industry. These marks carry weightage in the selection process.
c. Trade/Skill Test
- Candidates who perform well in the written test and have the required experience marks will be called for a trade/skill test. This test assesses the practical skills and expertise of candidates in their respective trades. It is important to note that the trade/skill test is of qualifying nature, and candidates need to meet the minimum criteria to move forward in the selection process.
d. Final Merit List
- The final merit list is prepared based on a combination of the online written test scores and experience marks. The trade/skill test is not included in the final merit list but is a qualifying step. The candidates are selected based on their combined scores in the written test and experience marks.
Depending on the number of candidates who have applied for the positions, MDL management may decide to do away with the written test and select candidates based on experience and the trade/skill test alone. This ensures that the selection process is efficient and tailored to the number of applicants.
The syllabus for the written/online exam is detailed in the official notification, providing candidates with a clear understanding of what to expect in the examination.
e. Marking Pattern
- The marking pattern for selection criteria varies based on whether the position requires experience in the shipbuilding industry and whether a written test is conducted. Here is the marking pattern:
Selection Criteria for Positions Requiring Experience in Shipbuilding Industry:
- Written Test: 60 marks
- Experience in Shipbuilding Industry: 40 marks
- Trade/Skill Test: Qualifying in Nature
Selection Criteria for Positions Not Requiring Experience in Shipbuilding Industry:
- Written Test: 100 marks
- Trade/Skill Test: Qualifying in Nature
Selection Criteria for Positions Where a Written Test Is Not Conducted:
- Experience in Shipbuilding Industry: 40 marks (Weightage 100)
- Trade/Skill Test: Qualifying in Nature
8. Verification of Original Documents
In the event that a candidate is called for the trade/skill test, they must bring the downloaded application form and all original documents along with one set of photocopies, duly self-attested, in a specific order. These documents are crucial for verifying the authenticity of the candidate’s qualifications and experience. It’s essential to adhere to the document verification process to ensure a smooth selection process.
The list of documents required includes:
I. Print Out of Application Form II. Online Payment Receipt (if applicable) III. Document in support of Date of Birth (DOB) proof:
- Xth Std. Passing Certificate indicating DOB OR
- School Leaving Certificate OR
- Birth Certificate IV. Qualifications
- Xth & XII Std. Mark sheet & Certificate
- Mark sheets of relevant qualification (all semester/year-wise) indicating the date of declaration of the result.
- Final Certificate of the relevant qualification.
- Provisional Certificate (in case the Final Certificate is not available) V. Caste Certificates: SC/ST/OBC (NCL) candidates must produce valid caste certificates, as per the format prescribed by the Government of India.
While this list covers the essentials, candidates may be required to produce other relevant documents on a case-by-case basis in support of their candidature. Failure to produce original documents may disqualify the candidate from appearing for the trade/skill test.
How to Apply
MDL has streamlined the application process to make it convenient for candidates. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to apply:
Visit the official MDL website: https://mazagondock.in
Navigate to the “Careers” section and select “Online Recruitment.”
Click on the “Non-Executive” tab.
Register by filling up the relevant details and click on the “Submit” button. You will receive a validation link sent to your email.
Login to the MDL Online Portal using your “Username” and “Password.”
Select the job under the “Non-Executive” tab and review the “Eligibility Criteria.”
While applying, ensure you have a scanned copy of a recent passport-size color photograph and your signature.
Carefully read the instructions and complete all details in the online application form.
If certain fields do not apply to you, you may enter ‘NA.’
Review the preview of the application form and make corrections, if necessary, before clicking on “Submit.”
For candidates belonging to the OBC category, pay the application fee of 100/-. Detailed instructions for payment can be found in “Para-16.”
(Applicants belonging to SC/ST/PWD (Persons With Disability) and Ex-servicemen are exempted from the processing fee.)
Once your application is submitted successfully, check the “Home” tab to ensure your application status is “Successfully Submitted.”
Take a printout of your application form with the unique registration number on or before the last date of application for future reference. Note that the option to print the application form will not be available after the application deadline.
It’s important to remember that candidates are not required to send a hard copy of the application form to MDL at this stage. The application process is entirely online, making it efficient and accessible to all.
MDL has established specific timelines for its recruitment drive. It’s crucial for candidates to be aware of these dates to ensure they meet deadlines and stay updated on the progress of the recruitment process.
Commencement of MDL Online Application: 10 Jul ’23
Last Date of MDL Online Application: 31 Jul ’23
Display of List of Eligible Candidates on MDL Website: 16 Aug’ 23
Last Date for Representation Regarding Ineligibility: 26 Aug’ 23
Tentative Date for Announcement of Online Examination: 31 Aug’ 23
Notification Download :- Click Here
Apply Now :- Click Here
Official Website :- Click Here
Our Website :- Click Here
FAQs: Career Opportunities at MDL
What is Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited (MDL)?
MDL is a prominent shipbuilding and maritime engineering company in India. It is a government-owned undertaking under the Ministry of Defence and plays a vital role in constructing advanced warships and submarines for the Indian Navy.
How can I apply for positions at MDL?
You can apply for positions at MDL by visiting their official website, registering, and submitting an online application form. Detailed application instructions are provided on the website.
What are the eligibility criteria for MDL positions?
Eligibility criteria vary depending on the specific position. Essential qualifications, experience, and age limits are detailed in the official notification. Please review the notification for specific eligibility requirements.